I love it when they’re bored

January 21, 2009

Because that’s just when an older sister will say to her younger brother, “Do you want to make a fairy feast?”

And they’ll go into the garden to gather supplies. She’ll get ingredients from the kitchen; he’ll gather fairies and animals from his room.

making a fairy feast

They’ll make a salad, a cake and a tiny tart.  They’ll even bake a pizza and a wee baguette.

the fairy feast

All the animals and fairies and gnomes will find a place. Well, not all of them. There will be some bickering about who should be invited, and who is the most appropriate. The brother will have to do some cajoling to allow the teddy bear a spot.

the fairy feast

And after nearly two hours of efforts, the spread will be divine, enough to impress even a Martha Stewart fairy.

Of course, the brother might have had a better time building a fortress for the fairies, gnomes and their animal friends. He probably would have preferred to have them jump off trees and chase each other under table legs rather than arrange them oh, so elegantly.

But he did like baking those breads and that baguette.

the fairy feast

And really, when your 13-year-old sister is bored and offers to play with you for the afternoon?

You go with it.

Mariah@Playful Learning January 21, 2009 at 9:06 am

Perfectly wonderful! I will have to show my daughters these photos, they will love them. They just started taking an interest in fairies…

Here is a house they made last fall:

I just discovered your blog and will be back often to visit 🙂

susan January 21, 2009 at 9:53 am

What beautiful photos! And what a fabulous feast. I’m going to save this for when my kids are bored and share it with them. I bet it will inspire a fairy feast over here.

Wendy January 21, 2009 at 11:50 am

Okay, that is the cutest little tea party ever! Is this something they do regularly? It seems so well thought out. I’ll bet my little one would love something like that. Mommy sure does!

patricia January 21, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Mariah! Your girls’ fairy house is adorable, and your blog and website are stunning! I look forward to spending more time snooping around…

Thanks, Susan. The photos were fun, given the glorious subject matter I was offered.

And welcome to you too, Wendy! So exciting to meet *two* new folks here in one day! And no, my two haven’t made fairy feasts together in the past, although my 13-year-old has definitely done her share of fairy play and house-building over the years. The feast was mostly her vision; my 7-year-old was happy to go along, and he liked making much of the food. But left on his own, the feast would have been less lovely, and more riotous, I’m sure. He’s less about pretty and more about *play*.

Brynn January 21, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Oh fun! I love the title “wonder farm” Thanks for commenting on my blog. I’ll be back here again. I gotta get motivated to write more. Always to busy reading about other’s fun adventures in living!

Learn on!

melissa s. January 21, 2009 at 11:44 pm

what sweetness! your fairies are quite lucky to be so well taken care of!

gina January 22, 2009 at 7:09 am

How fabulous- a feast, indeed!

My younger girls ditched their computer game and workbook and came a running when their 11 yo sister offered to play AG dolls with them yesterday- they soon had a whole AG town hustling and bustling.

patricia January 22, 2009 at 8:47 am

Thanks for visiting, Gina! I’ve met so many new people with this post–kinda like we all met across the table at the fairy feast ourselves!

And yes, nothing thrills a younger sibling like an older sibling offering to play. Especially when that sibling is substantially older. It’s a magical thing, isn’t it?

Laura January 22, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Cassia is pulling out all her fairies and we too will have a feast. No younger or older siblings… just a playful Mom. That will have to do. Loved that Mr. T was able to get the bear invited to the party.

patricia January 23, 2009 at 10:11 am

But Laura, mamas who play might be the bestest playmates of all. Cassia is a lucky girl.

I owe you an email, yet again!

suzee January 24, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Your photos get more amazing with each post. Made me want to come right over and join them.

Mom January 25, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Wow, I am impressed. Read everything. Makes me proud – you done good!!!

patricia January 25, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Thanks, Suzee! You might remember that working at my photo skills was one of my new year’s resolutions, so I appreciate the vote of confidence.

nicole February 3, 2009 at 1:05 pm

you seem like such a tender, creative mama. I absolutely loved reading this post!

Emily March 23, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Oh, Dish… The level at which I miss you just skyrocketed.