I’d like a thimbleful of channa masala, please

March 16, 2009

Lulu is finishing up her project for our homeschool group’s history fair. It’s an Indian dollhouse kitchen inspired, I think, by her fairy house building with Mr. T.

indian dollhouse kitchen

My favorite parts are the tiny clay spice dishes, and the window out to an authentic Indian street.

indian spicesview out the dollhouse window

She wanted to build a modern-day Indian kitchen. It was hard to find resources, but she and I found photos here and there. She used lots of foamcore and Fimo, a few Playmobil pieces, and lots of imagination.

indian dollhouse kitchen

Since it’s a history fair, she plans to point out the Indian history alive in a modern-day kitchen. Not too hard considering India is a country still steeped in its history.

shrine to ganesha

I’d like to crawl in there, and sip a cup of chai tea.

melissa s. March 17, 2009 at 7:54 am

a girl after my own indian-loving heart! its obvious that so much love and hard work went into this. it’s beautiful!

susan March 17, 2009 at 8:03 am

Evelyn said she had to look twice to see that it wasn’t a real kitchen! I can’t wait to see it in person. I love the spice bowls, too. And the sacks of grains. And the shelf!

stefaneener March 17, 2009 at 10:25 am

I can’t wait to see it. Will you guys be making lots of Indian food at home? Every time I read the recipe for my favorite malai kofta, I can’t bring myself to make it. So good, though!

Kristin March 17, 2009 at 2:31 pm

This is so adorable. Don’t you want to keep it forever? The photos of it came out so well too. I like how the pots and stove look handcrafted. The details like the ganesha ganesh altar and the art work are so cool. It’s very artistic. She must have learned a lot about India in order to craft such a wonderful space.

Carrie March 17, 2009 at 6:37 pm

This is awesome! Way to go L.! It makes me wish I could go to the history fair to see it! ( Instead I will be at a violin lesson- a different sort of treat)

Carrie Pomeroy March 18, 2009 at 12:14 pm

This is just exquisite! I’m so happy to have a chance to see it.

gina March 18, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Amazing! Such detail. I’ll have a cup while you’re pouring…

Lynnie March 27, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Wow, I can’t believe the detail! That really took a lot of work and research! I really liked the examples of other projects you saw at the fair, too. So inspiring! There is so much out there in the world to find out about!

paul sandip June 17, 2010 at 2:02 am

love this! 🙂

sudha June 2, 2011 at 8:42 pm

hi
lovely!! would u be willing to share these images on my food blog…pl email me if u are ok

itssudha gmail